10 Best Things to Do in North Shore, Oahu
Upon arrival, guests often ask our friendly, knowledgeable concierge team about possible day trips from Waikiki. The answer is almost always the North Shore. While nothing tops a day spent sightseeing, shopping, and sunbathing in lively Honolulu, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to explore every corner of the island. Much like Honolulu, there are countless free things to do in North Shore, Oahu, including snorkeling, surfing, and hiking. But we recommend adding a little extra money to the budget as there’s no better spot to skydive or swim with sharks than this lovely community.
10 Things to Do in North Shore
The journey from Prince Waikiki to North Shore is only 28 miles—approximately a 47-minute drive. To ensure that your well-deserved tropical escape to Prince Waikiki is nothing short of flawless, we’ve compiled ten of our favorite things to do in North Shore. Piecing together the best of North Shore wasn’t easy, but these selections should give you a proper “taste” of what this beautiful stretch of Oahu can offer. Many of these North Shore activities and attractions are free, which goes a long way when constructing a travel itinerary.
- Watch Pro Surfers at Banzai Pipeline: From October to April, some of the best surfers in the world brave the epic breaks at Banzai Pipeline—it’s truly a sight to behold.
- Snorkel at Sharks Cove: Sharks Cove is perhaps the best spot to snorkel in Oahu as you’ll stumble upon turtles, reef triggerfish, sea urchins, spiny box puffers, parrotfish, bluespine unicornfish, and dazzling underwater lava formations.
- Swim with Sharks: North Shore Shark Adventures guide brave swimmers into the Pacific Ocean in search of curious schools of sharks. Don’t worry—you’ll be inside an impenetrable cage.
- Skydive: We fully understand that skydiving isn’t for everyone, but there’s no experience on earth more exhilarating than freefalling from 20,000 feet in the air. You cannot beat Skydive Hawaii’s prices and professionalism.
- The Waimea Cliff Jump: Waimea Bay, easily one of the top-rated things to do in North Shore, is home to a massive, seemingly misplaced lava rock formation. Every day, locals and travelers leap from the rock into the warm, turquoise sea—the experience is equally liberating and refreshing!
- Observe Sea Turtles at Laniakea Beach: They don’t call this heavenly locale “Turtle Beach” for nothing. Unlike the surfing season, the best time of the year to spot bright green sea turtles is during summer’s peak (typically from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.).
- Explore Haleiwa: The charming beach town of Haleiwa is the perfect place to relax, shop, and dine. Buy new swimwear at San Lorenzo Bikinis, purchase some apparel at Hawaiian Island Creations, devour pupus at Uncle Bo’s, and share a basket of Giovanni’s famous hot and spicy shrimp.
- Bathe Underneath a Waterfall: The ever-popular Waimea Valley Trail leads to a secluded, eye-popping waterfall amidst lush forestry. When the water’s clear during the summertime, most visitors leap into the natural pool for a soothing bath.
- Visit the Dole Plantation: Unsurprisingly, one of the most popular things to do in North Shore is to visit the Dole Plantation. The Pineapple Garden Maze (the world’s largest maze) is especially fun for the little ones.
- Observe a Vivid Sunset: Oahu truly provides the most heartwarming sunsets on the globe. There’s no better spot to say “goodbye” to an unforgettable day than on North Shore’s aptly-named Sunset Beach.
Top-Rated Luxury Waikiki Hotel
The perfect place to start and finish each day in tropical paradise is right here at Prince Waikiki, the top-reviewed hotel in Honolulu. Just as important as compiling a list of things to do in North is learning more about our oceanfront haven. We pride ourselves in providing each guest with a five-star experience, from our lavish infinity pool to complimentary Ala Moana Center shuttles. Please give us a call today at 1-855-622-7558 to learn more about our VIP packages, award-winning dining, and the countless nearby attractions.
“Fabulous Prince, got to be the most outstanding hotel in Waikiki along with their fantastic team.”
craig314 | TripAdvisor | May 2017