State of Hawaii Travel Procedures
TRAVELING TO HAWAII – STATE OF HAWAII SAFE TRAVELS HAWAII PROGRAM
- The State of Hawaii Safe Travels Hawaii Program includes the required State of Hawai‘i Travel and Health Form, temperature screening at all Hawai‘i airports upon arrival, a vaccination exception program, and a pre-travel testing option to bypass the mandatory quarantine.
- Travelers not participating in Safe Travels MUST quarantine for 10 days or the length of their stay, whichever is shorter.
- A negative COVID-19 test result must be provided upon arrival. Hawaii requires travelers take an FDA-authorized NAAT test from a CLIA certified lab within 72 hours from the final leg of departure. Travelers will have their temperatures checked upon arrival and must fill out a travel and health form on the Safe Travels online program. Travelers who arrive without proof of a valid negative COVID-19 NAAT will be subject to the state’s strict 10-day mandatory self-quarantine.
- FDA-authorized NAAT tests, processed by a CLIA-certified laboratory are the only types of coronavirus tests currently approved by the state of Hawaii. The state of Hawaii will ONLY accept test results from one of the state’s trusted testing and travel partners (listed here).
- Minors five years and older must take the pre-travel test. (Minors four years and younger do NOT need to take the pre-travel test.)
- Face coverings or masks must be worn in compliance with Gov. David Ige’s most recent emergency proclamation related to COVID-19. Face coverings are defined as “a tightly woven fabric (without holes, vents, or valves) that is secured to the head with either ties or straps, or simply wrapped and tied around the wearer’s nose and mouth.”
- Travelers entering the state who have been fully vaccinated in Hawai‘i may bypass quarantine without a pre-travel test. The vaccination record document must be uploaded to Safe Travels online program or printed out prior to departure and hard copy in hand when arriving in Hawai‘i. Beginning June 15, 2021 at 2 a.m. HST, travelers who received vaccination in Hawaiʻi will be able to upload their vaccination document into the Safe Travels Digital Platform to receive exception from quarantine.
- Beginning July 8, 2021, individuals fully vaccinated in the United States may enter the Hawaiʻi without pre-travel testing/quarantine starting the 15th day after the completion of their vaccination. The vaccination record document must be uploaded onto Safe Travels and printed out prior to departure and the traveler must have a hard copy in hand when arriving in Hawaiʻi.
- The pre-travel testing program remains available for all travelers NOT vaccinated in the United States.
- All travelers, including those from Japan, Canada, Korea, Taiwan and Tahiti, who board a plane on the final leg of their trip to the Hawaiian Islands without first securing a negative test within 72 hours before departure will be subject to mandatory quarantine.
Details are subject to change. Stay up to date with the following resources: